Sometimes I’m craving something super rich and decadent.
These easy avocado brownies are silky, smooth, chocolatey, and rich. They also have a nice crunch on top with the addition of chopped nuts.
When cravings arise, especially during that time of the month, my go to is usually these avocado brownies.
How to Make Homemade Avocado Brownies
Instead of buying a box mix I prefer to make my own. Boxed mixes tend to require using vegetable oil and contain unwanted ingredients. While they offer convenience, many of these ingredients might already be chilling in your kitchen. Need to use up extra avocados? This recipe takes care of that.
Since I’m not a fan of all the sugar tradition brownies contain, I down play the sweetness a tad by adding less brown sugar. Typically in most recipes sugar can be decreased by a third. So if a recipe calls for 1 cup I only use 2/3.
Brownies are usually made with a decent amount of oil or butter. In this recipe I like to cut the butter in half and use mashed avocados to replace the rest. The reason I don’t completely cut out the butter is that I find the batter does not incorporate as well. This is because avocado doesn’t have the same melting properties as butter. If you would like you can try to replace the butter completely and let me know how they turn out!
What is the benefit of eating avocado?
- Great source of potassium , vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E
- Good source of fiber – helps you feel full
- Contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. Monounsaturated fats have been shown to decrease bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL).
Can I freeze brownies?
While I understand everyone has cravings, I don’t recommend eating the entire tray of brownies in a blur of hormonal rage. Instead I like to share them with roommates, family, friends, or coworkers. You can also freeze them for up to three months. To do this just wrap each brownie individually in plastic wrap and then place the individual wrapped brownies a large freezer bag.
Avocado Fudge Brownies
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed avocado (3-4 avocados)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pistachios, roasted and roughly chopped
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9×9 pan with parchment paper and grease or spay with cooking spray.
- Step 2 In a large bowl combine butter and brown sugar. Briskly whisk with a hand held or stand mixer.
- Step 3 Then whisk in the mashed avocado. Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Step 4 Add in cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Gently fold in the flour until well combined.
- Step 5 Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Step 6 Once out of the oven spread an even layer of chopped pistachios on top of the brownies.
Let me know in the comments section below if you try these easy avocado brownies!
Don’t forget to save these avocado brownies to your Pinterest board!