Takeout for two? Not in this kitchen!
Today I’m sharing my better than Chinese takeout chicken fried rice. I understand sometimes cravings or busy schedules call for takeout. Although most of the time you can find me whipping up something similar at home to save some money $$$!
The secret ingredient for my fried rice is fennel seeds. They have a slight black licorice taste, so a little goes a long way. Fennel seeds are actually one of the ingredients in Chinese 5-spice seasoning. So I figured why not add them to my Chinese fried rice.
To make this recipe convenient I used frozen stir fry vegetables instead of fresh ones.
Advantages of using frozen vegetables include:
- Less time spent cutting and preparing vegetables
- Frozen at peak ripeness (retention of nutrients)
- Increased storage life
- Reduced food waste
Do you make any homemade versions of your favorite takeout meals?
Better Than Chinese Takeout
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb chicken cutlets, cubed
- 1 bag Frozen Asian vegetables
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 green onion (green parts)
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- Step 1 Heat sesame oil on medium-high heat in a pan. Once heated add cubed chicken cutlets. Pan fry until cooked through. Remove from the pan and place to the side.
- Step 2 Add frozen vegetables to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add eggs and scramble in the pan.
- Step 3 Once the eggs are cooked add the cooked brown rice, cooked chicken, fennel seeds, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Step 4 Stir well to combine. Let the heat crisp some of the rice on the bottom by creating one layer and letting the mixture sit without stirring for a minute or two.
- Step 5 Remove from heat and serve immediately with green onions as a garnish. Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Let me know if you try this Better Than Chinese Takeout recipe in the comments section below!
Are you a fan of Asian flavors? Try my Asian pasta salad here.