Cabbage Enchiladas that are Gluten Free Friendly
The back story to these cabbage enchiladas started a while ago. One day I was searching the internet for the food trends of 2019, and I came across cabbage. It was almost immediate that I remembered one of my favorite childhood dinners. Stuffed cabbage or pigs in the blanket, as we called them in northeastern Pennsylvania, brings back so many memories. Growing up in Pennsylvania my mom made stuffed cabbage several times when I was younger. It was always a meal I came running to the dinner table for.
While this recipe is not the classic version, this is my Mexican inspired spin on stuffed cabbage. This recipe contains a beef filling with black beans, green chilis, ancho chili powder, and Monterey jack cheese. The recipe calls for a red enchilada sauce that can be purchased from the store, or you can make your own. I even included the ingredients and steps to make my homemade red enchilada sauce in this recipe!
How are these enchiladas gluten free friendly?
These enchiladas can be made gluten free friendly if you substitute flour for another thickening agent in the enchilada sauce. Flour substitutes I recommend are corn starch, arrowroot flour, and potato starch.
These beef stuffed cabbage enchiladas are perfect for a family dinner.
- 1 head of Cabbage
- Enchilada Sauce or store bought:
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp flour (corn starch, potato starch, arrowroot flour) **
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne (optional)
- Ground Beef Filling:
- 1 tbsp oil
- Lean ground beef
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 can of Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Top with:
- 2 jalapeños, seeded & sliced
- 1 avocados, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 For the cabbage: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the whole head of cabbage in the pot and boil for 3-5 minutes with the lid on. Once the cabbage has wilted drain the water and let the cabbage cool for a few minutes. After the cabbage has cooled enough to handle pull the leaves from the head gently, ensuring the leaves do not tear or break.
- Step 3 Beef filling: Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add the ground beef and cook until just browned for about 6-8 minutes. Add in the green chilis, black beans, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cheese. Give the mixture a stir and let it cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place to the side.
- Step 4 Enchilada sauce homemade: Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and all of the spices. Stir until the mixture begins to look browned. Add the tomato sauce, broth, and vinegar. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Step 5 Assembly: Spread the leaves out on a clean surface and add some beef filling to each leaf. Fold the edges in and place folded side down in a large baking dish. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the stuffed cabbage. Top with cheese, jalapeños, avocado, and cilantro. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments section below!
Also, don’t forget to save this recipe to your Pinterest board!