Are you are a fan of soup during the winter time?
Then you have to try this Crock-Pot Lentil Vegetable Soup!
It’s super easy to make. All you have to do is toss the ingredients in a crock-pot and let it cook all day long. You can also let the soup cook in the evening hours if you do not have time in the morning to cut up vegetables. Just toss it in before you go to bed on low, and then wake up with soup ready to be placed in a container for lunch.
Recently I tried an Easy Crock-Pot Minestrone Soup from another blog called Kroll’s Korner. The addition of sun dried tomato pesto blew my mind! Let me just say it was definitely the best minestrone soup I have ever made.
A few weeks after trying that recipe I found myself craving lentil vegetable soup. One of my favorite canned soups is Amy’s Low Sodium Lentil Vegetable Soup. With the inspiration from Kroll’s Korner and an appetite for lentil soup I decided to come up with my own version.
Did you know lentils pack a powerful nutritional punch?
Lentils are rich in:
- vitamin B-6
In this crock-pot lentil vegetable soup recipe I used brown dried lentils. I added them to the crock-pot without pre-cooking or soaking. Soaking usually does not reduce the cooking time for lentils. The lentils will double in size and become tender after cooking time is complete. As for cooking time I recommend cooking on LOW for 8-10 hrs or HIGH for 4-5 hrs. This will ensure the lentils become tender.
Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 6 yellow potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomato pesto
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional for garnish)
- Lemon, sliced and squeezed over the top (optional)
- Step 1 Place carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, lentils, pesto, bay leaves, and Italian seasoning in a crock pot.
- Step 2 Cook for 8-10 hr on LOW or 4-5 hrs on HIGH.
- Step 3 Once the cooking time is up add stir in spinach and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Step 4 To serve garnish with parmesan and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Enjoy!
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments section below!